Aims and Scope: Basic and applied papers dealing with biomedical engineering. Papers range from engineering development in methods and techniques with biomedical applications to experimental and clinical investigations with engineering contributions.
The goal of TBME is to publish comprehensive pieces of excellent science that reports novel engineering methods with demonstrated biomedical significance, or major works advancing significantly state of the art in biomedical engineering. We are interested in manuscripts which will have broad appeal to the entire field of biomedical engineering. Topics include, but are not limited, to the following: biomedical signal processing, biomedical imaging and image processing, bioinstrumentation, biosensors, bio-micro/nano technology, bioinformatics and computational biology, biomedical modeling and computing, cardiovascular engineering, neural and rehabilitation engineering, biomechanics, robotics, therapeutic and diagnostic systems, devices and technologies, clinical engineering, healthcare information systems and telemedicine, and other emerging topics in biomedical engineering
All manuscripts must be submitted to Manuscript Central
Submissions of manuscripts are required to be in IEEE format. Please follow the Instructions or use the word version TBME Template to create your paper. The file size for initial manuscript submission must be less than 20MB. Authors will need a registered ORCID in order to submit a manuscript or review a proof in this journal. Please visit “Prepare and Submit Manuscript” for details. ScholarOne Manuscripts Author Guide
ScholarOne Support Desk: 1-434-964-4100 or 1-888-503-1050
Title should be concise and informative to broad readers and attract attention from potential readers.
Structured Abstract must be fewer than 250 words including the following 5 points and words: objective, methods, results, conclusion, and significance, to highlight the problem being addressed, innovations of the work, major findings and significance. Please see TBME Template for example of structured abstract.
Cover Letter: All submissions must include a Cover Letter in the text box when submitting via Manuscript Central. PLEASE NOTE: this letter is only sent to the editors. Response to reviews should be submitted as a supporting document in the stage of file uploading, together with the revised manuscript.
- It must state clearly the work’s innovation and significance to biomedical research.
- It must confirm this manuscript is entirely original, has not been copyrighted, published, submitted, or accepted for publication elsewhere.
- It must disclose if there are any prior conference proceedings papers related to this work, and include a statement on why you believe the prior conference papers represent different works as compared with the submission to TBME. Please upload prior or concurrent conference proceedings papers as supporting documents.
- If it is a resubmission of a previously rejected manuscript, you must clearly state the rejected manuscript’s ID number.
- Please note that we accept for consideration full papers that have appeared in preliminary form as conference abstracts. The authors should include a statement, often at the end of the introduction, such as “A preliminary version of this work has been reported [reference]” and cite such conference abstracts in reference. Note however that prior publication in an extensive conference paper may disqualify a manuscript for consideration for publication at TBME. We do not accept manuscripts which are similar to prior conference proceedings papers in key findings or with substantial overlap in text. Authors should check on copyright permissions if any figures were previously published in conference papers. Concurrent submission of a conference paper must be disclosed when submitting a manuscript to TBME for consideration for publication.
Conclusion: Each TBME article must include a conclusion section elaborating the major findings and significance of the work, as well as applications. This section should not exceed 300 words.
References in the IEEE style should appear in a separate reference section at the end of the paper with items referred to by numerals in square brackets. Note the new reference format which only includes the first author for references with 3 or more authors. Click here for instructions.
The authors should submit the complete paper that includes the text, figures and tables to the ScholarOne Manuscripts Central in one PDF or Word file. Providing multimedia files as supporting materials is optional. Single-spaced pages and figures appearing within the text should be used for peer review. Figures and tables must be clearly numbered and captioned. Follow IEEE guidelines for graphics to prepare high quality line art images.
The resubmission of a previously rejected manuscript is discouraged, unless the decision letter states resubmission is an option.
Page Charges: Published papers that exceed eight printed journal pages will incur mandatory overlength page charges. 8 pages or fewer: only voluntary page charges ($110/page); 9-12 pages: mandatory page charges ($250/page over 8); >12 pages: requires special permission from Editor-in-Chief.
Color Charges: Online e-publication of color figures is free of charge. Color reproduction (Printed Issue) is an additional expense. For details please see “Prepare and Submit Manuscript”.
Disclosure of financial support as well as author and project-related conflicts of interest.
We require the full disclosure of financial support for the project as well as any financial and personal relationships of the author that could create even the appearance of bias in the published work. The following must appear in the acknowledgments section of the paper.
- The acknowledgments must disclose any agency or individual that provided financial support for the work, regardless of source. Examples include but are not limited to universities, governmental funding agencies, private foundations, and public and private companies.
- The acknowledgments must disclose any personal or financial or employment relationship between any author and the sources of financial support for the work. These requirements include financial interests of the author in any company that may be licensing, patenting, or using results from the published work at the time of or prior to the date of manuscript acceptance.
- The editors reserve the right to ask the authors of a study funded by an agency with a proprietary or financial interest in the outcome to include in the acknowledgments a statement regarding the integrity of the work. An example statement would be “The authors had full access to all of the data, devices, and materials used in this study and take complete responsibility for the integrity of the data and the accuracy of the data analysis and interpretation of outcomes.”
Protection of human and animal subjects. Internationally recognized conventions exist for the protection of human subjects and standards for animal research.
- If the published work utilizes human subjects, authors must indicate whether the procedures followed were in accordance with the ethical standards of the responsible committee on human experimentation (institutional and national) and with the Helsinki Declaration of 1975, as revised in 2000. If doubt exists whether the research was conducted in accordance with the Helsinki Declaration, the authors must explain the rationale for their approach, and demonstrate that an appropriate institutional review body explicitly approved the doubtful aspects of the study.
- If the published work utilizes animal subjects (including animal sources for in vitro research), authors must indicate whether the institutional and national guides for the care and use of laboratory animals were followed. The institutional committees that provide such oversight and/or the published guidelines must be acknowledged.
The LETTER format is reserved only for exceptionally novel works which deserve very rapid publication. It must report exceptional results of biomedical importance, and will be scheduled in the next available printed issue once accepted. LETTER can be up to 4 printed pages.
If and when a paper is accepted for publication, the authors must submit a properly executed IEEE copyright form, sign an author consent form, agree to a mandatory page charge for overlength manuscripts or color figures. If you have any questions regarding IEEE copyrights, please contact IEEE Intellectual Property Rights Department at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
EMBS offers discounted Open Access publishing at $1750 for ten (10) pages. See our FAQ on Open Access. The Open Access Copyright Form is not required if you do not select Open Access.
ELECTRONIC GUIDELINES. Authors are required to submit finalized manuscripts using the style files established by IEEE. Authors should follow the instructions in the TBME Templates.
Post-acceptance: you will see a copy of your accepted PDF when uploading your final material, which will be sent to IEEE production for comparison purposes to the final version. However, the final camera-ready copy mentioned above is still required. Throughout the production process, IEEE authors can keep track of and provide input on Author Proof Login website.
Post-publication: Instructions for Authors on Reprints and Special Charges
Author Posting Policy: Authors are free to post the accepted version of their article on their personal web sites or those of their employers. Authors are allowed to post versions of their articles on approved third-party servers that are operated by not-for-profit organizations.
Requesting Permission to Reuse TBME Published Figures or other IEEE materials: RightsLink is an automated permission service integrated within IEEE Xplore to provide users with quick and easy responses to their permission requests. If you require assistance with RightsLink, please contact email@example.com. If you have inquiries about licensing IEEE content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For all other intellectual property rights inquiries, please write to email@example.com or call +1 732 562 3966.